May 20th 2017
Registration begins at 9am
Walk/Run begins at 10 am
Register by May 5th to guarantee your FREE T-Shirt!
Donate here to support NAMI!
Similar to the NAMI mission the Color Me Happy 5K is a unique paint race that celebrates health, happiness and individuality.
Less about your 10-minute-mile and more about having the time of your life, The Color Me Happy 5K, un-timed race in which participants, or “Color Runners”, are doused from head to toe in different colors at each kilometer. With only two rules, the idea is easy to follow:
Who doesn't love freebies?! With your paid registration fee NAMI will provide you a free white event t-shirt if you register by May 5th. T-shirts are not guaranteed after May 5th. Children under 5 years old are free to attend, but will not receive a t-shirt. Young children are welcome and encouraged to wear their own white shirt to participate in the color festivities. Everyone receives a participation water bottle and free bounce house and face painting for all!
Teams are welcomed and encouraged! Team Captains must register all teammates at the same time to count as one team. There will be awards for the largest team and the team that raises the most money.
The fun continues after with an unforgettable Fun Finish Festival. This larger than life party is equipped with music, dancing and color throws, and additional entertainment!
Awards will be given for the first male, female and child to cross the finish line, the most colorful individual, the largest team, the most money raised by a team and by an individual.
Some mental health condition provide additional day to day barriers, NAMI is working closely with providers so that those living on fixed incomes have an opportunity to participate in this event. If you would like to participate, but can't afford it we encourage you to talk with your provider. Providers can contact us for a registration code. We are also encouraging our participants to consider an additional Peer Sponsor donation when registering.
Now that I am planning to do the Color Me Happy 5K, what do I need to Know?
1. Have Fun. Yes, it’s a 5K. Yes, people are running. But you don’t have to. It’s a run, not a race. If you want
to walk, walk. If you want to skip or pirouette through the color zones, do it. The entire point here is to have fun.
2. View the map prior to the event. It will save you a lot of confusion later because it’s a much smoother experience if you kind of know what you’re supposed to be doing and where you’re supposed to be going.
3. Get there early. Get a primo spot in the front of the pack because it guarantees that we won’t run out of color; we hope not to, but this is our first color run (I heard that one of the events out west DID run out of color. It could happen!).
4. You will get color everywhere. EVERYWHERE.
5. You will get more color from the post-race festivities than the race itself. The color from the race itself is pretty mild… it’s the color packets that will be handed out that you throw at each other afterwards that will get you intense color. SAVE YOUR COLOR PACKET for the end! Have fun and soak up as much color as you can!
6. You’re going to want pictures. BUT this powder is as invasive as glitter. Keep your camera/phone in a plastic ziplock bag or you’re going to get powder in its cracks and crevices. If nothing else – take a before and after picture. It’s fun to see the difference.
7. Close your mouth when running through the color zones. To prevent a layer of rainbow in your lungs tie a handkerchief over your mouth and nose. Free water will be available to rinse the color out of your mouth. But also: hydration is important, especially if it’s hot out.
8. Sunglasses will not 100% prevent you from getting color in your eyes... but they do help. We recommend closing
your eyes during those moments or safety goggles.
9. Throw color powder at strangers (nicely). Ask them to throw color at you. (“Can I get some Blue? Thanks!”)
Collect all the colors! The more color the better!
10. Not all the color will come out right away. Using makeup remover wipes works fantastically for getting the color off your face/skin.
11. Bring a trash bag or old towels to put over your car seats before traveling home.
12. If you’re traveling from out of town and have reserved a hotel, request a late checkout so that you can take a long shower before heading home!
13. If you want to keep the color in your shirt, spray it with vinegar and iron it.
14. You probably won’t ruin your shoes, so go ahead and wear your good running shoes. You’ll be doing lots of running and walking and you’ll want adequate foot support.
15. Be ridiculous. Wear a tutu. Wear a gold sequin fanny pack. Wear crazy neon shorts or socks or accessories. Because remember: this is a fun run. It’s not really a race. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Point #1 stands as the most important piece of advice. HAVE FUN.